Pursuant to the resolutions
in the 109th TWNIC Domain Name Committee Meeting,
May 24th, 2019
Article 1 Eligibility Requirements
Any domestic and foreign company, business, judicial person, if legally registered, and any natural person may apply for a registration.
Article 2 Policies and Rules of Registration
1. The hierarchic structure of the .台灣(.xn--kpry57d) domain name
2. Reserved Domain Names
(1) List of reserved domain names can be found at https://www.twnic.net.tw/dnservice_announce_restore.php.
(2) The update and registration of the list of reserved domain names relating to governmental agencies are governed by the National Development Council. The update and registration of the list of reserved domain names relating to educational institutes are governed by the Ministry of Education.
(3) The reserved words are not available for registration. If there are any needs for registration, approval by the Domain Name Committee of TWNIC shall be required.
3. Length of Domain Name and Acceptable Characters
(1) Requirements on Length of Domain Name:
– Except ASCII Domain Names, all domain names shall include at least 2 characters, and the maximum number of characters shall not exceed 63 characters.
– IDN after punycode conversion shall not exceed 63 characters.
(2) Acceptable characters:
– 26 alphabetical characters in either upper or lower cases, numerical characters of 0-9 and connection symbol (-) for a total of 63 characters.
– The dash (-) shall not exist at the first position or the last position. Neither shall it exist in consequence at the 3rd and 4th positions.
– Chinese IDN shall comprise at least 2 consecutive Chinese characters defined by the Big5 System, and it can also include the aforementioned alphabetical and numerical characters as well as the dash may be used in conjunction. It is prohibited to use the mixed format consisting of both Traditional and Simplified Chinese characters in Chinese IDN domain names for registration.
4. Abolishment of bundle registration of Chinese IDN.台灣(.xn--kpry57d) and Chinese IDN.tw
(1) The promotion of bundle registration of Chinese IDN.台灣(.xn--kpry57d) and Chinese IDN.tw will be ended at 14:00, January 7th, 2020 (Taipei time), and the new registration of renewal of Chinese IDN.台灣(.xn--kpry57d) or Chinese IDN.tw will no longer be automatically given a same domain name under .tw or .台灣(.xn--kpry57d) domain space. It is still free of charge for the resolution of the corresponding domain name in the simplified Chinese characters.
(2) When the promotion of bundle registration ends, those same domain names under .tw and .台灣(.xn--kpry57d) domain space will be treated as two separate domain names. The same domain name automatically given can still be used until expire date. The related renewal or update should be processed separately.
5. Adding ASCII Domain Registration under .台灣(.xn--kpry57d)
Please refer to the “Announcement of Adding ASCII Domain Registration under .台灣(.xn--kpry57d)”
Article 3 Applications
1. All applications shall be submitted with a TWNIC accredited registrar, according to its operation rules. The policy of “First-come-first-serve” shall apply to all applications. If more than one applicant applies to register the same domain name, the application that is received by the registrar at an earlier time shall be registered.
2. The applicant shall agree to TWNIC’s “Domain Name Registration Agreement” and provide correct information. Upon the registration the applicant should reply confirmation via email.
3. The applicant has the rights to use the registered domain name beginning from the completion of the registration procedure. The “completion” shall mean when the registrar determines the applicant has completed all the registration and payment procedure and has notified the applicant the domain is ready for use.
Article 4 Resolution Services
1. The resolutions to the Traditional Chinese IDN.台灣(.xn--kpry57d) and the corresponding domain name in the simplified Chinese characters under .台湾(.xn--kprw13d) domain space will generate the same results.
2. All domain names with the variations and combinations of the registered domain name(s) according to the “Chinese domain name character codes look-up-table” will be marked as un-registable to third parties but no resolution services will be provided thereto.
Article 5 Fees
The registration and renewal fee for the .台灣(.xn--kpry57d): NT 800 per year.
Article 6 Dispute Resolution
1. All applicants shall agree that all disputes between the applicants and third parties regarding the domain name registered by such applicants shall be subjected to the dispute resolution mechanism under the “TWNIC Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy” and the “Rules for the TWNIC Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy,” as published by the TWNIC.
2. When seeking the protection in the rights and interests relating to a domain name, the interested party shall submit a complaint against the registrant of the related domain name with a domain name dispute resolution institute authorized by the TWNIC, pursuant to the provisions of the “TWNIC Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy.”
3. When the promotion of bundle registration ends, those same domain names under .tw and .台灣(.xn--kpry57d) domain space will be treated as two separate domain names for the domain dispute resolution process. The fee for the application of domain dispute resolution will be calculated separately. The effect of the panel decision will be only applied to the subject matter of the complaint.
Article 7 Miscellaneous
Any outstanding matters will be announced on TWNIC’s website at any time.